Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Country Style Beef and Green Pepper Soup


Fall is definitely here. The temperatures are falling, the leaves are changing and the stores are full of holiday meal displays. When it starts to get cold outside I crave soups and warm comfort foods. I would love to start utilizing my crock pot more. I know there are tons of recipes out there - I just always forget about it when I am doing my meal planning. While on my quest for new soup recipes I ran across this recipe from Clean Eating Magazine. I love this magazine and all the recipes and tips it has inside. I have this recipe on my list to try. Every time I run across it I think it looks amazing! 



Country- Style Beef and Green Pepper Soup

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 12 oz extra-lean ground beef
  • 2 medium green bell peppers, diced
  • 1 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1 lb fresh tomatoes, chopped
  • 4 oz fresh green beans, trimmed and broken into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed and patted dry
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
  • 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Heat 1 tsp oil in a Dutch oven on medium-high, tilting Dutch oven to coat bottom lightly. Add beef and cook for 3 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Drain beef on paper towels; set aside.
  2. Heat 1 tsp oil in Dutch oven on medium-high. Add bell peppers and onion and cook for 6 minutes or until edges begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Add beef back to Dutch oven along with tomatoes, beans, corn, cabbage, broth and oregano. Bring mixture to a boil over same heat, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until beans are tender-crisp.
  3. Remove Dutch oven from heat, stir in remaining ingredients, including remaining oil, and let stand for 10 minutes before serving to allow flavors to meld. 
Nutrients per 1 1/2-cup serving: Calories: 182, Total Fat: 5.5 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 17 g, Fiber: 3.5 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 16 g, Sodium: 413 mg, Cholesterol: 30 mg 
 
You can find this and other recipes courtesy of Clean Eating Magazine HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment